The fireworks industry fears that more and more municipalities are banning consumer fireworks. The trade association of fireworks dealers BPN announced this on Wednesday. Disembarking is already prohibited in Nijmegen and Rotterdam.
The industry has filed a lawsuit against the municipality of Rotterdam over this ban, which is due next Friday. The online sale of fireworks has already started.
According to BPN, online sales are already up to 15 percent higher than in the same period last year, although torches and fireworks are no longer allowed to be sold. This is banned in the Netherlands from December 1st.
Earlier this year the sector protested this ban, as sales would cost them a lot of sales. Now they fear a lot more damage because the ignition of fireworks is being discussed in more communities. “Friday’s decision will also be important for this,” says Marcel Teunissen from BPN.
Call to order primarily online
Due to the corona crisis, the big fireworks at the Erasmus Bridge in Rotterdam was also canceled. BPN has created an action plan to make sales as “corona safe” as possible. The interest group, to which almost 80 percent of retailers are affiliated, encourages consumers to order online.
“In short, strict rules will apply to the collection points, including one and a half meters, a limited number of customers in the store, predetermined collection times and the strong recommendation to wear a face mask,” said BPN.
Last year, fireworks worth around 77 million euros were shot into the sky.