Daimler, the parent company of Mercedes-Benz, is expected to cut up to 20,000 jobs in the coming years. This is reported by the news agency dpa, citing insiders. Daimler itself had recently hinted that the Corona crisis could require the loss of more jobs than a previously announced estimate of 10,000 to 15,000 jobs.
The German car industry has been hit hard by the crisis. The virus outbreak even led to production being suspended for a while. Daimler posted a significant loss in the last quarter, preliminary quarterly figures said on Thursday. That is why the costs must be further reduced.
At the end of last year, the car company employed almost 300,000 people worldwide. It is not yet clear exactly how many employees will have to leave. A spokesman for the works council said on Friday that negotiations with Daimler were still ongoing. The group will report its final quarterly results next week. It is possible that the company will inform you about the personnel interventions to be expected in the near future.