January 21, 2021


News Updates Everyday

Ombudsman: It must take a lot longer! | What you say

Ombudsman: It must take a lot longer! | What you say

At the beginning of 2019 Antoinette will read our column in this newspaper. In it the story of Frits *. She is in the same boat as them. He also had to repay his housing benefit because his pension was forcibly purchased. He hears from us that there is a system for “special income”, for example for the transfer of pensions. You can ask the tax authorities not to add such a small amount of pension to your income. This rule only applies to housing benefit. And do you want to use it? Then you have to submit the application very quickly: within 6 weeks from the date on which you receive the letter stating that you have to repay the housing benefit. Frits is two weeks late …

Antoinette reads that we’re getting more complaints from the likes of Frits. You will only hear about the program after these 6 weeks have passed. And we think 6 weeks is way too short! In recent years we have therefore asked the minister several times to convert these 6 weeks into 5 years. Unfortunately, it wasn’t that far when Antoinette decided to write to us in early 2019.

But perseverance wins! This spring, the tax and customs administration extended the application period to 5 years (calculated from the year in which you received the housing benefit). So: In the last few years, were you too late with your request for a special situation with the tax and customs administration? Or did you not make a request at all? Then you can still do this for the last five years, i.e. 2015 up to and including 2019. Please note, however: You must submit an application for the approval year 2015 before January 1, 2021. From January 1, 2021, this is possible for the housing benefit years from 2016 (i.e. no longer for 2015). Good news for Frits, Antoinette, and everyone else in the same situation.

Further information on “Inquiries for special situations” can be found at loading service.nl or by calling the Tax Information Line on 0800-0543 (free).

* Fictional name

Something goes wrong between you and him too Tax authorities. Or are you unable to reach an agreement with another government agency? Then call the free one National Ombudsman 0800 – 33 55 555.