The Italian authorities have reported the sharpest increase in the number of corona infections in almost six months. Another 3,678 people have been diagnosed with the contagious virus. That’s the highest number since April 16. Then the authorities reported 3786 new infections.
Italy is one of the countries hardest hit by the corona crisis in Europe. Authorities reported thousands of new infections every day in March and April. A total of 333,940 people have been diagnosed with the virus to date. According to official figures, the death toll is more than 36,000. Due to the increasing number of infections, the Italian government is also making this mandatory outside of the country.
According to the AFP news agency, more than 6 million infections were found in Europe. Russia reported the highest number of corona cases (over 1.2 million), followed by Spain (825,410) and France (669,235). Italy appeared to be doing better than many other large European countries lately. On October 1, however, the number of newly discovered infections rose above 2000 per day for the first time in a long time.
- These countries are already using rapid corona tests
- Belgium: The Netherlands as good as code red
- Brussels cafes closed for a month
- “US Army Summit in quarantine as a precautionary measure”
- No “active infections” New Zealand
- Presidential candidate Biden again tests negative for corona
- Berlin closes bars and restaurants at 11 p.m.
Read the live blog from Tuesday October 6th here.