The Dutch public prosecutor’s office has not specifically asked Belgium to investigate two Vietnamese teenagers who died in a refrigerated truck in England last year with 37 other people. This is what Belgian Justice Minister Koen Geens said to a parliamentary committee earlier this week.
“However, it has now emerged that the Dutch public prosecutor’s office has not expressly requested that the public prosecutor’s office not carry out any further investigations,” the Brussels prosecutor’s office said on Friday.
According to the Public Prosecutor’s Office, there were extensive telephone contacts between the Judge in Brussels and the Limburg Public Prosecutor’s Office. “On the question of whether there were sufficient elements available which, in the event of a high procedure, would immediately require further investigation. The resulting decision not to intervene immediately was made deliberately in consultation between the judges involved and the police,” it said in a statement.
The two teenagers had fled to the Brussels municipality of Anderlecht a few days before their deaths. On Friday, 11 October, they had fled a shelter in Limburg, the Netherlands. The Dutch police followed them to track down a network of traffickers, as reported by the Belgian newspaper Het kup.